If this week has taught me anything it’s that you should not despair when things don’t quite seem to go as you would wish. Just hold tight and it’ll all be fine. Now back to the cheese
Week 2, top left - hairy as a beast (scared?)
Week 3, top right - hold on…starting to look surprisingly attractive
Week 4, bottom - drop dead gorgeous
What a funny world bacteria and mould can be. Just when you’re thinking that your bin’s not big enough for your latest failed experiments, the god of microflora waves his magic wand and lets the happy moulds win in the battle of good versus evil. We devoured a quarter of this whisky washed cheese this evening which I thought was quite reserved
Since posting this blog, I took our cheese to be inspected by our tutor for the week, Ivan Larcher. Within a second of looking at it, he knew that we had used too much starter due to the open texture of the pate. The blue moulds were forming because the lower pH of the cheese (more acidification from LABs) had created the perfect environment for them to grow rather than a pH of closer to 5.5 which is what’s needed for B.linens to grow. The open texture had also allowed whey to precipitate through the cheese and created a damp underside every time the cheese was turned.